School Learning Plan
Bonny Slope Elementary School
Who we are now:
The current Bonny Slope School opened in 2007, replacing the original building built in 1936 that now serves as BSD’s Terra Nova program. Following the tradition of the original school, our current school is a community gathering point and benefits from the continued support of families and neighbors.
As of October of 2022, our total enrollment is 724 students in grades Pre-K through fifth. 28% of our students identify as Asian, 1% as Black/African America, 10% as Hispanic/Latino, 10% as Multiracial and 50% as White. 18% of our students came to us as English Language Learners and there are 29 languages spoken by our students. 8% of our students are identified with disabilities that impact their learning. Our estimated rate of students qualifying for Free/Reduced Lunch is 16%.
Last year, our attendance rate was 90% and 81% of our third, fourth and fifth graders met or exceeded the state English Language Arts standard. 77% of those same students met or exceeded Math standards and 70% of fifth graders met or exceeded the Science standards. 91% of our students report feeling safe, welcomed and accepted at our school and 92% say that at least one adult at school really cares about them.
Our staff consists of 31 teachers (including one Academic Coach and one Success Coach), 7 para educators, one counselor and one psychologist. We also have a half time Social Worker to support student social and emotional wellbeing. Both our principal and assistant principal are new to the school this year.
We partner with the Bonny Slope Community Organization (BSCO) to support extra-curricular activities such as Geo Club, Oregon Battle of the Books, Bobcat Trail (Marathon Kids), Fifth grade Choir, and outside vendors such as Yoga, Play. Fit. Fun., Chess and Scouts. We are committed to bringing back field trips, assemblies, and other hands-on activities that were sidelined during the COVID pandemic.
District Goal: WE empower all students to achieve post-high school success.
WE Expect Excellence
- WE teach students knowledge and skills for our evolving world.
- WE seek, support, and recognize world-class employees.
- WE engage students with a variety of relevant and challenging learning experiences.
- WE create learning environments that promote student achievement.
WE Embrace Equity
- WE build honest, safe, and inclusive relationships with our diverse students and their families.
- WE provide needed support so that every student succeeds.
- WE work and learn in teams to understand student needs and improve learning outcomes.
- WE partner with our community to educate and serve students.